What’s so great about turkey? Well apart from being crazy delicious, it’s packed full of protein (even more so than chicken), is very low in fat, and usually, you get more meat per dollar than you do for other meats. It also works well as a low-fat alternative meat for a lot of traditional dishes. Case in point: Turkey burgers.
Since switching over to turkey for burgers, I haven’t ever looked back. They’re just as delicious, and they fun to make.
Now for this recipe I use pita as my bread, but if you want to go the whole hog and use traditional burger buns then that will work just as well!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do, and if you come up with your takes on it then be sure to let me know!
Let’s get into it! You will need:
For the Burgers
- 500g turkey mince
- ½ red onion sliced into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Guacamole
- 1 ripe avocados
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 red chili, stems and seeds removed, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- A pinch of freshly grated black pepper
- 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds, and pulp removed, chopped
For the Caramelized Onions
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 6 pita bread
- Salad leaves
To Make the Turkey Burgers
- Put the turkey mince in a large mixing bowl or pan and break it down with your hands.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly with your hands, trying to achieve a harmonious blend of all the ingredients.
- Finally, combine the parsley, salt, pepper, and egg. The egg should leave the mixed feeling very wet.
- Break off pieces just smaller than the palm of your hand to form burger patties. You should be able to create at least 12 good sized burgers, but feel free to make them as large or small as you like (don’t forget that size will affect cooking time).
- Once all have been made, heat up a frying pan or skillet over a medium heat and add oil.
- Once the pan is hot, put 5-6 patties on the surface of the pan. Ensure that none of them are touching and that you have enough room between them.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side before then flipping each one over. Continue this until the patties have been cooked through. Once done, remove from heat and repeat process until all patties have been cooked.
To make the Guacamole
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the seed. Empty the flesh with a spoon into a bowl.
- Mash the flesh with a fork, but try to leave the guacamole a little lumpy.
- Add the red onion, tomatoes, chili pepper, lime juice and salt, and stir.
- Cover with plastic and store in the fridge until ready to use.
To Caramelize the Onions
- Heat up a frying pan to a low-medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Once at desired temperature, add the onions. Continue to stir the onions and cook over a low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened and turned golden, remove from heat and serve.
Serve with pita bread, green salad leaves, and your choice of sriracha, mustard, or mayonnaise.
I tend to enjoy these by having a pocket of pita, cut in half, with the salad in first, then a turkey burger following, then topped off with the caramelized onions, and sriracha. Enjoy!