With so many food possibilities to choose from, it is very difficult to decide which foods will offer you a healthy diet. The difference nutritional claims that we must sift through makes it difficult to decide what are actually better for us. Chicken wild rice soup is a healthy diet. It is full of proteins, vitamins, and other minerals. Chicken wild rice soup is very popular every weather.
Wild rice is actually a semi-aquatic grass, basically, it grows in the shallows of lakes, slow rivers, tidal and base, 2 and 4 feet deep water. The grain of wild rice was historically gathered and eaten in both North America and China. The advance way of harvesting wild rice involved carefully navigating wetlands with a canoe and using sticks to thresh the grains into the boat. Now cultivation in paddy fields is more common. Wild rice is considered to be exceptionally nutritious, among other grains. The grain of wild rice is so delicious and has some impressive health benefits.
Read About: Egg Drop Soup
Benefits of Wild Rice
- Wild rice does not contain sodium and it is very helpful for your blood pressure and heart diseases.
- Wild rice is a rich source of vitamins, niacin, pantothenic acid and folate. It served 11 % of our body’s daily need for this nutrition.
- One cup of wild rice provides the 23% of manganese of your daily need.
- Wild rice is considering a rich way of proteins, and it contains twice as much protein as brown rice.
- Wild rice also contains vital vitamins such as vitamins A, C, and E.
- It is an excellent source of essential minerals such as phosphorous, zinc and folate. These minerals give us energy and nurture your bones.
- It is contain 30 % more antioxidants than white rice.
- Among high fiber content, wild rice preserves your digestion smooth and also cholesterol level.
Read About: Creamy Thai Carrot Soup with Basil
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Total time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 1 cup wild rice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup all- purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz. mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup chopped parsley
Read About: Bacon Potato Soup
In a large skittle, cook wild rice over medium-high heat for 45 minutes or until rice fluffs up. Drain remaining liquid left in the skittle and set aside.
Now add oil to a large pot, add onion, carrots, and celery cook until soften, for 3 minutes. Add dried thyme and all-purpose flour. Sauté and toss for additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Drop in chicken stock, bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, salt, pepper, and mushrooms. Reduce the heat and allow soup to boiled for10 minutes. Add cooked wild rice and pour in half and half. Bring soup back up to a boil and allow it to heat, for about 5 minutes. Remove the heat. Stir in chopped parsley. Chicken wild rice soup is ready, serve immediately.
Note: the creamy chicken wild rice soup is my favorite. I added some fresh chopped parsley for additional flavor, color, and texture. It is very delicious served with crusty bread.
Read About: Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup