The cake is one of the most famous Christmas dishes which is everyone’s favorite. This Christmas Cake With Royal Icing cake recipe is very easy and delicious for you. Let’s know about its quick and tasty recipe.
Read About: Mary Berry Christmas cake
For the fruit cake:
- 350g (12oz) golden sultanas
- 350g (12oz) raisins
- 300g (10½ oz) dark soft brown sugar
- 250ml (9fl oz) brandy
- 350g (12oz) unsalted butter
- Four medium eggs
- 300g (10½ oz) plain flour, sifted
- 2tsp ground mixed spice
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g (5½ oz) chopped mixed peel
- 100g (3½ oz) glacé cherries, halved
- 55g (2oz) walnut halves
- 55g (2oz) roasted hazelnuts
- Grated zest and juice of 3 lemons
Read About: Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
For the topping:
- Sieved apricot jam, to glaze
- 900g (2lb) marzipan
- 700g (1lb 9oz) all-in-one royal icing sugar (about 1½packets)
- Glycerin, for the icing
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Jelly Lollipops (e.g. trees, snowmen)
Top tip: Jelly lollipops and cake decorations are available in most major supermarkets.
- Soak the sultanas and raisins overnight in 150ml (5fl oz) of the brandy. Drain the fruit (reserving the brandy) and heat up the oven to 150ºC (300ºF, gas mark 2). Butter and line with greaseproof paper the sides and base of a 23cm (9in) round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar jointly, then slowly beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour and spices, and then the reserved brandy. Put the dried fruit, peel, cherries, nuts, lemon zest and juice and fold jointly. Move to the tin and level the surface with a spoon.
- Cover the top with a circle of greaseproof paper and bake for 2½-3 hours, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Leave the tin to make it chilly, then turn out onto a wire rack and pour over half of the remaining brandy. Leave for some minutes, and then pour over the rest of the brandy, wrap in cling film and store in a cold, dry place, ready to be iced for Christmas.
- In the meantime, make the topping. Brush the cake with apricot jam. Knead the marzipan until soft, and then roll out onto a surface calmly dusted with icing sugar to around a little bigger than the top and sides of the cake. Lift the marzipan over the cake and smooth the top and sides. Rub in circular movements to give a clean end. Use a sharp knife to trim the excess marzipan from the base, and then mold the trimmings to make a mound for the top of the cake. Secure it with a little of the apricot jam, and then leave to dry for half a day.
- Make up the royal icing with glycerin and water, according to the packet instructions. Utilizing a palette knife spread the icing in a thick layer of the whole cake. Make peaks, using the back of a teaspoon, so that the frosting looks like snow. Leave to dry. Top with a few jelly lollipops before serving.
Read About: Christmas cake
Did you make this recipe?
Share this recipe with your friends and family members. Remember to leave your feedback in the comment box below.
What's Your Reaction?
Farida is well educated and experienced Article writer.She loves to write about different topics.She loves writing and doing different kind of yoga poses because she is a great yoga trainer and beauty expert.She starts her day with amazing yoga exercises and blog writing .